Saturday, February 18, 2017

The day I lost my buddy...January 2014

I wished the news was not true. I hoped I heard wrong! It cannot be! I refused to believe it! 

It was Wednesday, The date was 22nd of January 2014, after packing all that I needed for the trip, my husband and I hopped on our Starex and we drove straight to Kuala Terengganu. Tomorrow night will be an old boys from Alam Shah Ex students and we both were looking forward to this event. I had made my own plans to see my friends too. 

The traffic was quite heavy so we drove slowly. We arrived safely at the Felda Residence Hotel in Kuala Terengganu late night and some friends were already waiting for us to snatch my husband for supper! Oooo,,, this is men business! I decided not to join for I was very tired, worn out and sleepy! That night I slept like a log and I totally forgot to recharged my phone. I only realised it after my Subuh solah! Like someone was telling me, I switched on my notebook and there it was....... the bad news! Tears flowing down my cheek. I can hardly able to absorb the news. MAny times I asked my husband to read again and again.... 

The message clearly mentioned his name, time and place of his death! Yes..... my brother, a dear friend, my buddy Mohd Ali Manaf died on early morning of Thursday 24th of Januàry 2014! I was so helpless! My phone was dead and all my contacts were in it! Lucky me my husband managed to call a familiar number and it was confirmed that the news was true! I felt sad with the news and even upset because my phone failed me at the time I needed it most! I cried my heart out because he always havebthat special place in my heart.

Everybody knew Arwah Ali!  He was a man who would not budge in his words. We were together with many more Turtles in MPKT in 1981  to 1983. He was a very likeable personality with a quality of his own. He headed the Red Crescent and a very good hockey player! He represented the college hockey team!  I remembered trying out the game when suddenly out of nowhere a hockey stick landed on my face! I fainted, lost a tooth and a swollen forhead and blood rushed out from my mouth..... lots of blood! I heard voices and I recognised his in the state of panic. His voice was above others and when I opened my eyes, he was there crying and the same time smiling down at me. I was in pain. I screamed and cried  but I will never forget that moment. He was a true brother, always there for me  in my ups and downs..... Ya Allah, how I miss him....  

Arwah Ali was  a very serious  when at work but when he was off duty, he was a very funny person! A very easy going person he was and as I recalled nobody would feel angry with his way of handling meetings and events or his practical jokes! We all felt at ease with him around ....just like a big brother! 

Before he joined Maktab Perguruan Kuala Terenggànu on 4th Mày 1981, he was working in Genting Highlands. His arwah father wanted him to be a teacher and registered his name for the purpose without his knowledge! Being a good son, he joined anyway! Of all the many, Arwah Ali, Azmi Mahabob, myself and few others had working experience behind us while most were fresh from school. We found out that we had the chemistry and since then we became buddies!

Arwah Ali was the Tesl B head of unit. I was in Tesl C. There were three classes  of Tesl teachers and we all think alike! We did everything together and kept little secrets within us! Even outings downtown or campings, all of us acted as one. Most of the times, we were always together. But being a newly opened college, all of the students regardless from other classes, were our friends too. Such a big compound with less than 200 students and started with only 5 lecturers.... what do you expect? Everybody knew everybody!  That was how and why we became close. 

I still remember our first Pestarama held in Penang. It was all about music. Taksiah, Saadiah, Kak Teh, Noradna and I were in the dancing group. Kasmawati and Titina were in the choir. Arwah Ali was not in any of the competition but with his sweet talk and wittiness, he was included in the team as a crew member! We had lots of fun in Penang. Wow! Those were the days!

But as I said, those were the days. We felt sad when someone who is dear to us pass on. What is left are the memories. Arwah Ali will always be in our mind and in our heart for as long as we live. Whenever any of the Turtles met, his name will be mentioned. 

Ya Allah please grant Ali a good place in Jannah for he was a very nice person. Please pardon all his faults. Al Fatihah!  

Till today, whenever Turtkes MPKT get together, we will always be in tears when his name popped up...... I still  miss my buddy......I really do. We still contacted his family until now. His wife Cikgu Norihan and his daughters are doing fine. We even attended his daughter's wedding in Kuantan at his new home which he bought for his family. A good choice of location. Well done bro!

No comments:

Post a Comment